Meaghan’s Misadventures, #3,059,340

So I accidentally set a fire in the kitchen today. I put a pot on the stove to boil. Also on the stove was a plastic paint tray, as the bathroom is being remodeled. Unfortunately I had turned on the wrong burner. Without realizing this I went into the bathroom. I had a volume of Chekhov’s short stories with me so I was gone for some time. When I came back I discovered that the paint tray had melted over the burner it was lying on and huge flames were leaping energetically out from between the coils and the kitchen was full of smoke. I pulled the paint tray off the burner and put the pot on the coils to block oxygen, but the fire continued to burn so I had to fill a glass of water and pour it all over the stove. Finally the flames went away. It gave me quite a start.

The kitchen is still stinking of smoke and kind of foggy. I hope it goes away soon.

I think I should have a look at the smoke alarm.

26 thoughts on “Meaghan’s Misadventures, #3,059,340

  1. Cheryl October 2, 2009 / 3:05 pm

    I’m glad there wasn’t damage beyond smoke and fog!

  2. anonymous October 2, 2009 / 6:51 pm

    You were stupid enough to let it happen. Why don’t you let your depression get to you and become suicidal.

    • Kelly October 2, 2009 / 8:57 pm

      Anonymous- you should be ashamed of yourself. Take a good long look into the mirror and ask yourself if your parents, friends (if you have any) or God would be proud of you. Big fat NO.

      Shame shame shame.

    • desert October 3, 2009 / 4:35 am

      meaghan-i like your site,blog and work…keep it up.be safe anonymous-you suck,what’s wrong with you,you feel the need to put so much hatred out there,mind your own.get some help for those issues

    • anonymous October 3, 2009 / 4:42 pm

      I guess I am regretful, but seriously why do you have to be so depressed, 25% of your blog posts I mistake for suicide notes.

      • Becky October 3, 2009 / 10:48 pm

        You’re ridiulous, and a bully. But really, this entry didn’t seem very “depressed” to me.

      • Meaghan October 5, 2009 / 10:56 am

        Well, if you don’t like my blog, you know, you can always, like, stop reading it.

  3. Wendy October 2, 2009 / 7:23 pm

    You should have a look at the smoke alarm, and maybe get yourself a small kitchen extinguisher too! That’s scary Meaghan, glad all is okay!

  4. Kelly October 2, 2009 / 8:55 pm

    Ok Meaghan gotta tell ya:

    1st off, Anonymous is an asshole and I would adore slappin some sense into it. What a tool.
    2nd. I know fire is a serious thing, but your description had me laughing hysterically. Thank God you are ok. I wonder sometimes if you have a poop cloud hangin over your head! Be careful! And stay away from ladders and black cats! 🙂

  5. Karen October 2, 2009 / 10:56 pm

    Is this person “Anonymous” the same one who makes rude comments on other blogs?

    A mean, stupid, hateful, disgusting coward by any name.

    • forthelost October 3, 2009 / 12:14 am

      Since by definition anonymous is anyone who isn’t using their name, it could be anyone.

    • anonymous October 3, 2009 / 4:43 pm

      This is the first time I have wrote on this blog.

  6. deja826 October 2, 2009 / 11:58 pm

    A bowl (size depends on the strength of the odor) of vinegar helps. The vinegar absorbs the smell and it’s cheap.
    Good luck! Most of, if not all, of us had an experience in the kitchen. I have a steak of black “smoke” on my ceiling from when I made home made tacos. Hot oil going and some water dropped into it. I was using the water to make rice on the back burner, hot oil in pan on front burner.

    Simple green helps with the black stuff.

  7. deja826 October 2, 2009 / 11:58 pm

    anonymous was too much of a coward to leave a name and a worthless comment.

  8. jamie October 3, 2009 / 12:43 am

    AWWWW Meaghan Girl you always make me laugh…It remines me of what happen this pass summer, I have a home in VT. that has an electic stove ( i hate) and i just took the pasta pot off to draine, when my daughter took my big oven mitt (i loved) and placed it on the burner…poof…up it went, i grab the little hangy thing on the side of it and whipped in the sink, we laughed our asses off…my smartass husband piped up, its ok hon, you always burn something while making dinner…i pictured you running around trying to put the fire out and was cracking up..hhahaha…glad your ok,remember tho..use salt next time, so much easier to clean up, just vaccum! Keep posting your daily life mishaps, they make me smile…… jamie

  9. jamie October 3, 2009 / 12:45 am

    OH and to anonymous, Your spineless! You must live one unhappy life…Visit a church once in awile, it might help!

    • Emily October 3, 2009 / 1:02 am

      He doesn’t need a church so much as a conscience. I’m an atheist and I’m still a decent person with compassion for people who have or have had emotional difficulties. Anonymous is a coward and a pathetic troll.

  10. Kat October 3, 2009 / 1:32 am

    I once turned on the wrong burner while trying to make soup…sucked that I burned up my stepmoms teapot….bought her a new one but the smell!!!!!!!!! I’d been working the night shift, no excuse, but I worked retail and was able to order her a new one….but still… lucky all around. ALL accident could be much worse and yes, check the smoke detector and get an extinguisher, but…………..the an. comments…unwarrented. What an ass. Takes a big person to call someone out without an id. Typical of the internet times but still………..

  11. Kat October 3, 2009 / 2:44 am

    Oh! And baking soda, can be a great smell reducer too, with smoke and other things.

  12. deja826 October 3, 2009 / 3:54 am

    So, you see, Meaghan, you’re not alone…..we all have had an experience in the kitchen!

  13. Kat October 3, 2009 / 7:22 am

    Amen! everyone get distracted. Things happen. And btw, i’d just LOVE to know who that random ahole commenter was, opinions are ok, but really????? That was rude, and beyond rude. No one has the right to say something like that. I wonder if it wasn’t some of her other “friends” from back in tthe day but no matter…………..stay strong Meaghan!

  14. Justin October 3, 2009 / 7:31 am

    I once melted the metal grill in the indoor kitchen of my mother’s stove when I put a steak on and forgot about it. Blistered wallpaper behind it. I thought my mother was going to kill me. But she did the same thing with some hard boiled eggs that she forgot about and almost melted the pot. These things happen. Just don’t find yourself making a habit out of it.

    PS: anonymous is one of those people who say crap like this on the internet and crank phone calls, but have backed down from every violent situation or fight they have ever come up against in their life. That is why they always have been and always will be “Anonymous”.

  15. Kat October 3, 2009 / 7:58 am

    see? A LOT of us have had oopes as I say……don’t let ome jerk get you down! I always love how those who are “anom” dont “ownm” let them sort out their own issues!

  16. Meaghan October 3, 2009 / 8:01 am

    Anonymous is what they call a troll. Trolls deliberately post provocative (often nasty) comments just to get a reaction.

  17. Kat October 3, 2009 / 12:10 pm

    well, looks like you didn’t rise to the bait but he/she /it got some of it out of the rest of us! I could almost get it if there was a i dunno, random facebook or something, but to nail on someone who does a great public service, and in that tone,t hat’s just awful.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s